Sunday 13 November 2016

Preparing for first outing with Fuji X-T2

It's been very slow progress as I familiarise myself with my new Fuji camera due to my continuing ill health. The main problem being that I still can't walk far, so I can't get to any my favourite local photogenic spots (like the nearby park or the beach).

So, I've been concentrating on the basic operation of the camera and working my way through all the X-T2's many menus and settings. I've also run through Fuji's 'manual' which is really no more that a reference guide to where each feature/setting might be found and what adjustment options you have. As a brand new camera model, there's been a lack of any YouTube tutorials but - finally - Tony Northrup released a video overview of the X-T2 last week...


Having, now, a very loose grasp of the fundamentals, I began to plan my first photographic sojourn. I'd love to do some test shots and footage down at the seashore but thoughts of taking my new (expensive) outside got me thinking about adding some practical accessories.

My main concern was the 3 inch LCD display. The X-T2's screen is not fully articulating - unlike my old Canon 700D - and the screen cannot be turned completely around to protect it when not in use. The screen is always exposed and that makes me worried about scratches, so the first job was to buy a decent screen protector...


The next thing that I wanted was a camera strap. I'd tried out several on my Canon 700D and wasn't really happy with any of the shoulder/neck straps I bought. I work mainly with my camera mounted and long straps just tend to get in the way, plus I never liked having a camera hanging around my neck. Then I saw wrist straps...

SHETU Digital Camera Carry Wrist Strap, a nice traditional looking faux-leather
strap. It has a sliding loop which allows you to tighten the strap around your wrist
for extra security. A great way of carrying your expensive camera on holiday.
These appeal to me as they are more flexible and allow me the security of being attached, but not too long that it gets in the way when the camera is mounted. Long neck straps can get in the way plus - because I am more of a videographer - they were not always convenient given the amount of accessories you'd attach to your camera for filming (like microphones, pull-focus attachments, etc).

Additionally, the wrist strap works well with my little camera bag/holster, which has it's own long carrying strap.

The last little accessory I bought was a tiny soft button. The X-T2 comes with a traditional style shutter release button with a screw fitting so you can attach an old-school shutter-release cable. This makes the button a little uncomfortable to use, so you can screw on a little third-party button to make the shutter-release a little softer and the process of taking a picture a little smoother...

Right, so I'm all prepared now. I have a basic understanding of my new camera - enough to get me going (and learn by doing) - and I have added some accessories to make it more convenient and safer to use outdoors. My only misgiving is that I only have one battery at the moment, so I have limited 'endurance' (I do have some good SD cards, though, so that's not an issue). I have read that the X-T2 batteries are fairly short-lived, particularly when shooting video, but we shall see.

My Fujifilm X-T2, ready to go!
All that's left now if for me to work out how to get to my chosen location. But even if I have to use a taxi I am determined to get some test footage done this week. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment