Monday 15 July 2019

GoPro POV No gimbal Test

I got a chance to pop out and take some footage with my GoPro mounted directly to my backpack, without the aid of a stabilising gimbal. This gives me some clips that I can directly compare with one-another to see just how effective my FeiyuTech G4 gimbal is.

GoPro No Gimbal

The GoPro was attached to my backpack strap using the Stuntman Pack Mount. In this configuration the camera is a lot more discreet and less cumbersome than it is when mounted on a gimbal...BUT...Just how shaky will the footage be now, without any stabilisation?

Here's the result of my little test, and note that I also took the opportunity to try out recording the audio on my Tascam DR-10L recorder with a 'dead cat' fluffy windshield attached to the lav mic. This way I can test out two things at the same time...Back to the cliffs (guaranteed breezy gusts from the sea)!



And here's my FeiyuTech G4 gimbal stabilised footage, once again, for comparison...



Well, there you go...The gimbal wins out! No question about there being a noticeable difference.

[Note, in the first movie, how more difficult it was to ensure that the GoPro - directly mounted to the shoulder - was precisely level! I should really have checked using the GoPro's wireless viewing app. Of course, you don't have to worry about that when you use the gimbal as it sorts out levelling.]

On the Audio...
As you can hear, this location is particularly gusty which means lots of buffeting of the GoPro's mic. While the wind noise was also apparent on the Tascam recording, it was less aggressive and didn't have the 'banging' that is displayed in the goPro's audio.

(Note that, neither audio was edited or otherwise corrected - denoised using software - so there's a possibility I could have even improved upon the Tascam recording even further.)

So, I think I will defiantly use the Tascam for my GoPro audio in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment