Thursday 11 July 2019

FeiyuTech & GoPro POV Test

Having, earlier, worked out how to mount my gimbal/GoPro combo onto my backpack - in order to get a Point of View perspective in some of movies - I moved on to filming a little test using the rig.

However, one thing I had not talked about much is the backpack that I have mounted the camera and gimbal to. This is a recent addition to my equipment and is yet another attempt for my to find the 'perfect' camera bag (if such a thing actually exists...I'm on my forth attempt)!

Lowepro Tahoe BP150 Backpack

I am trying out the Lowepro Tahoe BP150 Backpack (£50), a compact and lightweight day-pack more conducive to a minimal 'run & gun' equipment load-out. Here's the review that convinced me that this backpack was perhaps the bag I was looking for...



To be honest, I was a bit surprised just how 'compact' (small) the Tahoe was when it arrived. I'm a big bloke and this does kinda make me look like I've borrowed a kids school backpack! Still, I got it because I wanted something small and easy to tote about and the Tahoe certainly fits that bill.

Anyway, here just a reminder of what the GoPro/gimbal look like when attached to the backpack via the Stuntman Pack mount...

Gimbal & GoPro on Backpack Mount

I sorted out the gimbal's lean to the left - caused by how the pack's straps naturally sit on your shoulders - by twisting it in it's mount, reseating it's orientation so that the camera now faces directly forward. Now, let's take it for a little walk...



Not silky smooth. But, as this is supposed to be a POV view (seeing what I am seeing) then a little movement motion is natural looking and desirable...I don't want to appear like I am floating around! :)

The Good and the Bad...
Generally I'm pleased, the set-up did what I wanted it to - it gives the viewer a view of the world as if through my eyes. And it's stabilised enough that it's not too jerky but - as I said - still gives a sense of  my walking around without being too distracting.

The backpack mount itself is rock steady and feels trustworthy - by that I mean I do not feel like it will slip or give way at all. I did think, before shooting, that perhaps the constant up and down movement of walking might eventually cause the rig to creep and droop - but it didn't.

The reason I worried about 'droop' was because once I had my GoPro/gimbal/mount rig all together, and I put the backpack on, I became aware of the not insignificant weight of the contraption. And it bothered me that I found it noticeable, because I wanted the setup to be 'invisible' and something I wouldn't be thinking about as I walked around.

Instead, I was kind of aware of the lump of tech on my left shoulder (particularly as I had no counterweight on the right), and it's weight pulled slightly on the backpack's strap and there were a couple of occasions I felt like readjusting the pack's straps. I read somewhere that to help stabilise this sort of mount you should either use a backpack that has an integral chest strap or you can buy a separate strap that can be added to your backpack to aid stability. Hmmm...

Wisdompro Backpack Chest Strap
The Wisdompro Backpack Chest Strap (£10) can be attached
to any backpack. It adds stability and ensures you don't have
to constantly reseat you pack when it has a full load.
...So 'fixable', but, there was a also a slight noise as something in the setup clicked and squeaked - perhaps I hadn't tightened all of the various screws that hold my cobbled together rig? I shall check that everything is tightly screwed together before I try again. Maybe I was just hypersensitive about possible problems? Anyway...

Pros:
- It worked
- It was stable enough
- It's sturdy 
Cons:
- It's heavy enough that it's noticeable
- It's not exactly compact
- It's not discrete

If I had to give it rating - because, why wouldn't I - I'd give it a 7/10.

Maybe I will get used to the setup, I've only used it the once after all; I'll give it a chance. The other alternative would be to mount the GoPro without the gimbal, lighting the rig but at the expense of stability. I'll try that out just to compare how shakey it would be without the gimbal...

GoPro Backpack Mount

No comments:

Post a Comment