Sunday 5 August 2018

Arca-Swiss QR Mount

Do I *need* an Area-Swiss camera mount? Debatable, but attaching my DSLR camera to the video plate that comes with my Andoer video tripod has always niggled me. You see, the camera mount and  plate on my *video* tripod is designed for use - primarily - for a camcorder (naturally) and while it does accommodate a DSLR camera 'OK', I don't like the huge plate hanging off my camera...


Camcorders, being *long* - while DSLRs are *wide* - means that the mount plate on my tripod overhangs a very long way when I attach my Fuji XT-2. Again, this isn't a major thing and the plate attaches very securely, this is just one of those things that is - randomly - irritating to me! :)

The Arca-Swiss QR mount is design for photo-cameras and mounts using a rail that runs the width of the bottom of the camera or camera cage (I have a cage). This then attaches to my video mounting plate converting the long video mount to a wide photo-camera mount...

Fotga QR-120 Clamp Adapter For Quick Release Arca-Swiss plate.


So what? Well, the Area-Swiss system now being integral to my camera - thanks to the rail at the bottom of my camera cage - I no longer have to have a mount plate screwed to the bottom of my camera. I simply slide my camera into the Area-Swiss 'clamp' which is attached to my tripod mount.

3rd party 'L' grip for Fuji XT-2 camera with integral Area-Swiss rail.

This means I can very quickly whip my camera in and out and never have to worry if I left the tripod mounting plate on the desk at home or in the pocket of my other jacket. I also no longer have a very long video tripod mounting plate sticking out from under my camera.

As I say, these are small - not make of break - issues. But I feel better I have this sorted now. :)



I bought the camera's 'L' grip a while back to give my big hands a little extra purchase on the XT-2, the integral Arca-Swiss rail on the bottom was just an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment