Thursday 4 August 2016

Juicy tidbits about the new Fujifilm X-T2

(Warning: Camera nerd alert!)

In this last couple of months before the actual release of the new Fujifilm X-T2 camera, not all the final features have yet been finalised. So, even at this late date, there are still some welcome surprises leaking out - in this case, a Fuji manager lets slip that the X-T2 will now support internal F-Log...

OK (and bear in mind I am still getting my head round this myself)...Simply put, F-Log is a 'flat' (or 'neutral') colour density handling, it allows footage to be outputted with the maximum amount of colour information so that the editor can then fiddle with colour grading knowing he won't lose so much detail in high contrast areas. (I think!)

For example, if you shoot a high contrasty footage (with blown out highlights) that is only going to get worse - and you will loose more of your highlights - if you then apply additionally high contrast colour grading in post. What you want is flat footage with colour information across the spectrum, so that you have more creative latitude in post.

...Tricky stuff, eh?

From what I have seen, F-Log (or any flat log) footage looks to the uninitiated as if it's very wishy-washy, all the colours are kinda 'medium' and not very punchy. The sort of footage that your old photography teacher would have turned his nose up at!

But the payoff is what you can then do in your favourite editing package.

But the irony is...
Finally, the guy from Fuji also highlights what Fuji consider is the two greatest advantage of using a Fujifilm camera - the Fujinon lenses and Fuji's famous 'colour simulation' modes.

Example of Fujifilm's simulation modes...Shake'n'bake colour grading.

Straightaway, this kinda contradicts the whole importance of F-Log, because - by nature - Fuji's film simulation effects are the complete opposite of F-Log. They are - in effect - baked in colour grading.

However, this apparent contradiction isn't as crazy as it sounds. Fuji knows that while there are some very enthusiastic fans of their film simulation modes, if they want to grow their video making market for the X-T cameras they will also have to appeal to the more general videographer. And he/she will want the creative latitude and independence that is provided by F-Log.

[Note: While this take on simulation modes is a bit flipant, there are very good reasons for using Fujifilm's film simulation modes. First of all, for someone who just wants to take a quick stylistic 'look' without fiddling about in 'post', they are very convenient. But also, Fujifilm's simulation modes are very highly thought of by even 'pro' photographers - their 'Provia' and 'Monochrome' are superb styles. And finally, for the videographer who is working on a tight schedule, having these pre-baked colour grading styles in-camera will save them time mucking about in post AND will also save rendering time.]

Conclusion
This is what the lead-up to the X-T2's release is going to be like - lots of little tidbits which will mostly be exciting for the camera nerds out there, but will have the rest of us going 'meh'. :)

But, there again, as a person who is trying hard to chose their next camera, these little facts may make the difference between me buying Fujifilm camera or buying Sony (or buying Panasonic).

No comments:

Post a Comment