Wednesday 28 December 2016

Video Tripod Mounting Plates

One slight personal niggle I have with my new Andoer tripod is the camera mount. It features a long camcorder format mount, like this...


Now, this is designed to complement the long narrow 'footprint' of camcorders, and is - in my opinion - overly large for the smaller format of DSLR or mirrorless cameras. Additionally, I find this sort of mount a bit of a pain to use, you have to screw the camera onto the mount so it isn't quick or easy to remove (you have to remember to keep a screw driver or coin on hand to unscrew the mount).

Left: My Andoer tripod head, showing the long type of mounting plate intended for camcorders.

Of course, you can detach the mounting plate and camera from the tripod head with relative ease...By unscrewing yet another screw catch to release the mount/camera!

DSLR mounted on the long camcorder plate. While it actually
works perfectly well, it's a little ungainly.
I much prefer a QR (quick release) type mounting plate which has been designed specifically designed for use with DSLR/mirrorless cameras...

The compact QR mounting plate of my light-weight tripod. The smaller size
of the mount is more suited to DSLR/mirrorless cameras than the long
camcorder mount, in my opinion.
This sort of mounting plate has a trigger release catch, making it fast and easy to detach the camera. Some tripods actually come with this sort of QR mount built in (as above), but my Andoer tripod doesn't. Pity.

Luckily, you can buy the above type of mount as a separate unit which you can then attach to your longer camcorder mounting plate, killing two birds with one stone. You now have a smaller more compact mounting plate and also one which has a quick release catch. I bought one of these, which was also made by Andoer, their Compact Quick Release Assembly Platform Clamp + Quick Release Plate (£7.89)...
One aspect of this QR mount that I particularly like is the
'safety catch' on the 'trigger'. The trigger release catch cannot be
accidently knocked open without the additional 'safety' being
activated. That's really neat.
All I had to do, was attach this to the tripod's long mounting plate and then I had a smaller more compact mount for my camera that is also quick and easy to detach...

My Andoer QR Compact mount attached to my Andoer tripod's long mounting
plate. I've mounted it with the trigger catch to the side and the bubble levels
facing the rear. I can now attach and detach my camera quickly and easily.

The Andoer Compact Mount comes with integral bubble levels to help you ensure that you tripod head is perfectly level. This is very handy for me as one of the criticisms I have of my Andoer video tripod is that it's own single bubble level is not very easy to see, so having these extra levels, just under the camera, are perfect.

Finally, I find the little extra height that adding the compact QR mount gives you makes it slightly easier to manipulate the camera lens focus, aperture and zoom rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment