Sunday 27 March 2016

Yongnuo YN 50mm F/1.8 lens for Canon EOS


Although I couldn't resist splashing out on my slider, if you ask what should be your first upgrade as a budding DSLR video-maker many might say 'a 50mm lens'. This is because it is a piece of kit that helps you achieve that much sought after 'film look', which is the reason so many turn to making videos using DSLR cameras in the first place.

A 50mm lens with a low f-stop capability allows you to create that very pleasing shallow depth of field effect, with the background blurred out but the foreground subject in focus.



Being as I am on a very tight budget I had to make some hard choices about my purchase. Even the fairly reasonably priced Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens - £98 on Amazon - had me umming and ahhing so I was intrigued when I came across a review of the Yongnuo 50mm lens for the Canon EF mount.

Basically, the Yongnuo is a straight Chinese copy of Canons popular 50 mil. And being a Chinese 'clone' it comes in £56.99, which is a very attractive saving. Of course, it would be false economy if the Chinese lens wasn't any good, so I checked out a few reviews before making my choice...



Well, no surprise there. You pay your money, you make your choise. For me, in particular, the choise wasn't as simple as thinking 'well, just another £40 would get me the Canon 50mm' - for a start, £50 is £50, and additionally the Canon lens I'm really after (long term) is the Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens, which is £239.38!

Like everything, at this point, I don't want to buy 'too expensive' as I am still learning.

I should have a chance to use the Yongnuo on a live project this week so I'll post up the results next weekend. Looking forward to trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment