Saturday 26 March 2016

Koolertron 60cm Camera Slider



This was actually delivered a couple of weeks ago, but I've been playing with it so waited until I could produce something worthwhile before I posted up my thoughts.

Right off the bat I can say that a slider (a mini portable track for short dolly shots) is one of those items of equipment that you only really appreciate once you have one. After just a short time you wonder how you ever managed without one - they immediately raise your game.

Obviously, a tracking shot isn't everything, but as people get used to movement in sequences they find static scenes (or at least, cutaways or scenes with no dialogue) a little 'boring'. I literally had a client complain to me about some of my work being 'boring'. I guess this is all part of the modern expectations about always having something going on in the frame (naturally, within the limitations of the story you are trying to tell - movement isn't always an appropriate effect).

Anyway, I had the opportunity to use my new slider for a project I had to do on a computer data center. This was probably an ideal situation in which to apply some movement in the frame as - let's face it - a data centre is probably not the most interesting environment for a lot of people! Here's the result, but note that these are just some of the rushes and the voice-over hasn't yet been applied...


Above: My slider test reel. The opening sequence is a rather nice drone shot
done by Bakehouse of Hull.

I was really pleased with some of the effects, the shots 'sexy' up what are some pretty dry pieces of equipment. While I'm sure anyone 'into' servers will probably find them interesting, the lay-person will probably appreciate the little extra help to make a scene a little more palatable.

There are cons as well as pros to using a slider. The first is trying not to fall into the trap of using it for everything (which is hard when the novelty is still fresh). In my case, space to use the slider - even just a 60cm (two foot) one like mine - is a consideration, as I struggled a bit in the narrow isles between server cabinets.


You also have to think about the amount of kit you are carrying. As a 'lone gunman' I struggle at the best of times and while the Koolertron is made of (good quality) lightweight materials it does require a heavy-weight tripod to get the best use from it. Stability of mounting is everything, and you may even have to use two tripods - one at either end of the slider - to ensure a silky smooth tracking shot!

The quality of the Koolerton
Now this slider is - as is plain - an entry level manual slider. At £80 it isn't the cheapest, but I decided that the ball-bearing tracking mount that it has was worth the little extra money - rather than paying £40 for one of the bargain basement sliders which are simply metal 'sleds' on a metal track.

Friction - or lack of it - is the key to a smooth tracking shot. The Koolertron track mount runs beautifully smooth and has two 'friction knobs' which you can screw tighter or unscrew to vary the friction. This is essential to a nice 'glide'.

I was very impressed by the quality of the material and finish of the Koolertron, it all feel very well put together.


Obviously, this is just the first run on the ladder as far as sliders are concerned. As a manual slider - one I literally have to push along to get my tracking shot - there are issues of speed control and consistency in movement. It takes some amount of practice to get that perfectly moderated glide - in the beginning, you tend to have to do a shot again and again as you gauge your speed of movement.

The next step up would be perhaps to add some sort of pulley or gear system with a motorized system the ultimate guarantee of a smooth and consistently paced tracking movement. But, while I learn how best to utilize this piece of equipment a basic manual slider is fine (and it's good to have a bit of kit that doesn't require batteries or power)!

No comments:

Post a Comment