Monday 27 March 2017

Videoing tabletop tutorials

Something I've been asked to do for one of my hobbies is to video some of the methods, to be exact - how I do some of my scale model making. But, I've been putting this off as I've never been quite sure how best to video some tabletop work - a la Blue Peter - given that a lot of my models are quite small.

But, I've decided it's best just to film some stuff and see what works. I can adjust my technique accordingly. So here's my first test footage...



Yes, it's all a bit thrown together, but this clip does give me some useful information.

EQUIPMENT: 

Camera - I'm using my fixed focus GoPro Hero 4 Black.
Stand - The GoPro is attached to a clamp with articulated 'gooseneck' arm (about a 30cm long).
Lighting - Just one small LED desk lamp.
Sound - Just the GoPro's internal mic (hence the hiss)!

Not very high-tech. But you have to start somewhere.

My goal was to find out how close the GoPro could focus - as it is a fixed focus camera - and to see if I could get it close enough so that the viewer could make out the small model parts that I work with.

Also, I wanted to experiment with the best angle and position for a single camera without it getting in the way of what I am doing. I thought the 3/4 view, looking down on my work area, would be best as I wouldn't block the view of the objects being worked on but this does mean I occasionally have to turn the objects if I want the viewer to get a clear view of the work.

GoPro 4 mounted on articulated 'Gooseneck' clamp.
At this point, I am not bothered about sound as I am undecided whether I shall add a voice over narrative in post. It might be easier that way so I can cut down mistakes and follow a script.

CONCLUSIONS
Well, it's not horrendous! The good thing about the GoPro 4 is I have several filming resolutions to choose from (including 4K if I want). The major downside is the fixed focus, the GoPro's minimum focus range is about a foot (30cm) and anything closer than that is blurry.

This is a bit of a pain as I may want closer shots to show some of the small components and assemblies (perhaps as close as 10-15cm). But, for a wider overview of my work area, the GoPro is adequate.

The other main concern is - as always with video - the lighting. I am going to have to set up something a bit more like a mini-studio, with at least two lamps giving even illumination from either side of the bench to eliminate any shadows.

OTHER OPTIONS
To focus in closer, I have the option of either using my main video camera - the Fuji X-T2 - or my little Logitech Web Cam. The Fuji might be a little overcomplicated, although the quality of footage would be superb, and it seems like a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut sort of solution.

The Logitech web camera seems a little more flexible and suited as it has a very good auto-focus system - that can focus very close to the lens - and wouldn't take a lot of space on my desk. Additionally, I would have the ability to monitor the footage via a computer screen, which would help to make sure I have small objects in focus.

I think my next test will be with the Logitech (and let's see if we can improve the lighting).

No comments:

Post a Comment